We all love a smelly candle! But what makes an Aromatherapy candle more than just a nice scent to fill your room? We wanted to write this blog to give you more of an insight into the world of Aromatherapy and why adding the right essential oils to a candle can prove beneficial to mental and physical health.
Most scented candles use synthetic fragrances to achieve scents which are copied from nature, so are far cheaper to produce, but as with any chemical copy, they don’t have the beneficial effects that nature provides and can even be harmful.
Aromatherapy candles contain essential oils which are the extract or “essence” of plants, which are used for their beneficial effects on the mind & body. They are most often used in Aromatherapy massage to help treat a wide range of health issues, with great success. They are also used in diffusers and candles to infuse their healing properties into the atmosphere.
So, whereas a scented candle will simply release a pleasant smell into the home or workplace, an Aromatherapy candle can help to improve a person’s mental, physical and emotional well-being. Each essential oil has its own powerful healing properties, but when combined together a synergistic effect occurs which boosts the power of each oil to create a “super-blend”.
So what are the benefits then?
Well here are just a few –
- Help with sleep disorders
- Relieve anxiety
- Fight stress and irritability
- Help combat depression
- Lifts exhaustion and fatigue
- Help lower blood pressure
- Improve concentration
- Kill bacteria and viruses
- Purify the air
- Boost immunity
- Relieve headaches
- Relieve feelings of grief and despair
- Help Seizures
- Improve symptoms of menopause and PMS
- Help Childbirth (Care must be taken when using essential oils during pregnancy, as only a small number of oils are safe to use, our “Calm before the Storm” candle has been created specifically for the start of labour and as with any aromatherapy candle MUST NOT be used before this time)
- Bring Joy
There are many other beneficial effects but far too many to list.
There are countless variations, but we have chosen our own combinations of essential oils to create seven very special candles each with their own unique purpose.